Losing possessions like house key so much hurt that nobody wills for it to happen to them. If losing such an item can disorganize one when it happens now imagine the frustration of misplacing or having a vital document damaged.
Can you imagine that? For those who have had to replace their social security cards in the past, chances are what I am saying resonates with you very much.
This makes one wonder why replacing social security cards seems like a hassle when the social security act website explicitly states that replacing your ss card is free and you have the opportunity to replace yours for up to 10 times in a lifetime.
See, according to the social security act website, it should take about 10 business days after filing an ss5 form for you to get your new ss card but most times this is usually not the case. This begs the question: how long does it take to get a ss card?
But before then, you should know the possible dangers you are likely exposed to if you lose your card, and for this reason, you must endeavor you get a new one as quickly as possible.
What are the dangers associated with losing your ss card?
1. If peradventure your card was stolen by thieves, your social security number may be availed to fraudsters who use your data to siphon funds illegitimately.
2. Frauds can use your Social Security number to file a bogus tax return and generate hefty tax reimbursements.
When you consider the huge losses that come with losing your card to thieves, you may want to treat your card with care or better yet, get a new one as quickly as possible even if you have to pay professionals to help you get it done.
Steps to take after losing a Social Security card
Once you discover that your social security card is stolen or lost, endeavor to take the following proactive measures to hedge against possible financial losses that may result.
1. Place a fraud alert – You can do this easily by calling one of the three major credit-reporting agencies (Experian, Equifax or TransUnion)
You can reach them via the following contact info:
2. File a report with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
3. Report your stolen card to the Internal revenue service.
4. Review your financial accounts and credit reports and also file a police report.
How long does it take to get an ss card?
Just like the social security act website had stated it may take up to 10 business working days but let’s not constrain ourselves with that.
See, it is highly possible to get your social security card in as early as two days and in some instances, it may take up to weeks before yours is issued.
It basically depends on where you are resided in and how compliant you are with the regulations guiding a successful ss5 form application.