Will a car give more power and deliver more kilometers per liter with premium fuel?

The word ‘premium’ might be enticing, thinking that it would do something great or that it comes with many advantages. However, when it comes to gasoline, the only concrete outturn of buying premium-grade fuel for a regular-grade engine is that you will lash out extra cash.

Premium fuel is the most expensive gas you can get your car to ‘drink,’ valuing around 50 cents higher per gallon than regular fuel. However, nearly 18 percent of new vehicles in the United States requires, and the other 82 percent spend their money on pricier high-octane gasoline, without any tangible benefits in fuel economy, performance, or emissions.

Higher costs do not always guarantee any satisfaction. The basic rule to follow the requirement set by the automaker stated in the owner’s manual. While it remarks that premium gasoline is recommended, it is still up to the driver to decide.

Using premium fuel on an engine that runs well on regular gasoline is unlikely to enhance any aspect of efficiency in considerable amounts. Regardless of what others may claim, premium gasoline will not provide more benefits, such as cleaning deposits from the injectors or other parts of the system, given that fuel nowadays tend to have the exact additives.

The significant difference of premium gasoline from regular fuel is that it has a higher octane rating of 91 up compared to regular gasoline at 87. What higher octane provides with premium fuel is better resistance from detonation, or when combustion went wrong within the cylinders. It is often accompanied by pinging or knocking sound, seemingly like stones clattering inside a tin can. Moreover, higher octane enables engines that possess better compression ratios, forced-air induction, and ignition timing. With that, premium fuel works best with superchargers and turbocharges.

Nevertheless, if the automakers state in the owner’s manual that your engine only required regular fuel with 87 octane rating, then it what you should use in your car. Getting premium fuel with a higher octane rating will not give your car more power or deliver more kilometer per liter. Truth be told, the contrary may likely happen as premium fuel tends to have lesser energy than regular octane fuel. That means that premium gasoline is not actually a stronger gas when used on conventional engines. It only leads to better power when utilized on the appropriate machinery.

So, why does car-owners like premium fuel? Experts say it is only a psychological thing, thinking that it makes the engine perkier. Moreover, the cost it entails adds to the effect. Since you are spending extra bucks, then you may deem that you are getting more. While some users say that they, indeed, get better efficiency and economy with premium fuel, those were only brought by external factors, such as warmer weather.

But, if you are getting fuel since your engine is knocking on regular gasoline, change on fuel is not what you need but a visit to the mechanic, Remember that the pinging or knocking noise is not the problem, and but it is a sign of another underlying issue. Your mechanic can quickly diagnose the reason, which is often due to hotspots or carbon deposits.

With all that said, paying more and filling your car that runs on a regular-gas engine won’t be a big investment. It would bring a little help on your budget, sticking on what fuel your vehicle basically requires.

More Readings:

Gasoline (Wikipedia)

Octane rating (Wikipedia)

You Might Also Like: